WBO junior middleweight champion Tim Tszyu 24-0 (17) will make his Las Vegas debut when he faces former WBC and WBA welterweight titleholder Keith Thurman 30-1 (22) at the T-Mobile Arena on March 30.
The 12-round non-title bout will be contested at a catchweight of 155-pounds and will headline a four-fight pay-per-view card in PBC’s inaugural card on Prime Video.
“I’ve been ready and waiting to headline a historic event like this in the US for a very long time and it’s an honour that I don’t take lightly,” said 29-year-old Australian Tszyu, who is the eldest son of International Boxing Hall of Fame inductee Kostya Tszyu.
“My father did it and was at the top of the world for a decade, now it’s my turn.
“Thurman is a great fight, he’s tricky, tough and he’s mixed it with the very best the sport has seen. This is a new era now. It’s the Tszyu era. On March 30, everyone who tunes into this pay-per-view is going to see for themselves.”
The 35-year-old Thurman from Clearwater, Florida was once one of the shining lights of the marquee 147-pound division, but injuries and layoff have cruelled his career. By the time he steps in the ring it will be more than two years since his last bout, a unanimous decision victory over Mario Barrios 28-2 (18) in February 2022.
Thurman knows this is likely his last opportunity to prove he can still compete with the elite.
“I’m back in action and I’m happy to be a part of this first event with PBC on Prime Video,” said Thurman.
“Tszyu stands out as an exceptional fighter and I’ve always held admiration for his performances. His distinctive style provides the perfect stage for me to exhibit the relentless dedication I’ve poured into training, refining my skills and fortifying my mental game.
“This fight promises a spectacular showdown between two of the most electrifying fighters in the sport, an event that demands attention.
“Good things come to those that wait. Them days are over, bright lights and action are up ahead. Let’s shake up the world of boxing one more time on Prime Video.”
In the main support bout WBC junior welterweight champion Rolando ‘Rolly’ Romero 15-1 (13) will defend his title for the first time against Isaac ‘Pitbull’ Cruz 28-2-1 (17).
“This is gonna be Rolly versus the Chihuahua in the ring on March 30,” said the 28-year-old Romero from Las Vegas. “I’m gonna stay world champ and be the first superstar on Prime Video. Just make sure you buy your tickets or tune in on pay-per-view, don’t miss this one.”
Mexico’s Cruz, 25, said: “I’m very happy and extremely motivated to have this opportunity to fight for the world title. I’ve worked extremely hard to earn this shot. I’ve tried to fight other big names, but ‘Rolly’ was the only one to step up and accept the challenge. He’s got power and courage and he comes to knock you out. That’s going to make this a great fight on March 30. I’m thankful to my promoter Manny Pacquiao and my whole team for helping secure this fight for me. I will leave the ring as world champion on March 30.”
Also on the card WBA middleweight champion Erislandy Lara 29-3 (17) will defend his title against mandatory challenger Michael Zerafa 31-4 (19). Both boxers spent last year on the sidelines after being unable to secure fights.
“I’m looking forward to getting back in the ring and defending my title, especially on this first event with PBC on Prime Video,” the 40-year-old Cuban southpaw Lara said.
“I feel like I’m the modern day Bernard Hopkins and that I can keep doing this for years. I know that Zerafa has been waiting patiently for this opportunity, so he’s going to be hungry on fight night. But he’s going to realise that he’s now on the world class level facing the best fighter in the division. It’s an honour to be on this great card that’s going to be action packed from start to finish.”
“This is long overdue ever since I became the mandatory,” said Australia’s Zerafa, 31. “I’m very thankful to everyone who made this fight happen. Come fight night, the world will see why I deserve this opportunity and Australia will have a new world champion.”
Further down the card once-beaten junior middleweight contenders Sebastian Fundora 20-1-1 (13) and Serhii Bohachuk 23-1 (23) will clash over 12 rounds for the vacant WBC interim title at 154-pounds.
“Training camp is going great and I’ve been working hard to get ready for this fight,” said Californian southpaw Fundora, 26. “I train 100% for every fight, so it’s been getting back to work as usual for me. I know I’ll win because my objective is still the same as before, to become world champion in the super welterweight division.”
“I can’t wait for this opportunity to fight for the title,” said 28-year-old Ukrainian Bohachuk. “I’ve worked my entire career for the chance to reach my dream in this sport. I will give everything to win this fight because I’m not just fighting for myself, but also for my war-torn country of Ukraine.”